THE CITY OF RICHFIELD, MINNESOTA
Announces an Opening for the Position of
PUBLIC WORKS WORKER
Full-Time Regular Position
(Primarily assigned to Recreation Services)
Starting Salary: $23.74/hour plus benefits negotiated under the Local 49 AFL-CIO Agreement
Salary Range: $23.74/hour to $30.06/hour. Non-exempt position.
Regular work hours are 9:30 AM-6:00 PM Tuesday through Friday, and Saturday 7:00 AM -3:30 PM. Ability to work extended hours, weekends, holidays, and respond to calls during non-working hours as required.
Nature of Work
Under the general work direction of the Facility Manager, assists and performs tasks required in the daily operations and maintenance of the Ice Arena, Pool, Miniature Golf Course, and other recreation facilities. Assists in maintaining clean and safe facilities and equipment so facilities operate properly.
- Assists in monitoring all mechanical equipment, including heating and cooling systems, irrigation, pool circulation, chemical and filter systems.
- Assists in maintenance of ice resurfacer, ice sheet, pool water quality and facility equipment.
- Assists with the annual pool start up and shut down.
- Maintains facility structures and grounds, which includes a preventative maintenance schedule for recreation buildings (Ice Arena, Pool, Mini Golf, Community Center, and Nature Center as needed).
- Changes filters, belts, and performs greasing of equipment.
- Removes snow and leaves surrounding building entrances.
- Assists in daily cleaning of facilities.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates an ability to operate heavy and light equipment and hand tools.
- Demonstrates an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, facility users and general public.
- Demonstrates an ability to perform daily custodial duties.
- Demonstrates an ability to perform basic repairs and preventative maintenance of equipment and facility structures.
- Demonstrates an ability to perform timely and regular attendance.
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates an ability to troubleshoot and recommend maintenance strategies for ongoing building and grounds needs.
- Demonstrates an ability to make decisions, recognize problems and take corrective action.
- Demonstrates an ability to organize materials, maintain accurate records and files.
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates knowledge of recreational facility operations and maintenance.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the safe operation of motor vehicles.
- Demonstrates an ability to understand and respect the diversity of customers and co-workers, effectively communicating with individuals whose first language may be one other than English.
The physical demands that are described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to work outside year round and during extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to perform physical labor requiring continual and repetitive use of large motor skills to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, crawl, crouch, push and pull, twist and turn, and conditional and repetitive use of fine motor skills and manual dexterity.
- Ability to operate heavy and light equipment to remove snow. Ability to see and use depth perception when plowing streets and have good night vision when plowing or sweeping at night or other non-daylight hours.
- Ability to hear, see, taste, touch, and smell. Specific vision abilities required of this position include close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to distinguish colors and different shades of color.
- Ability to frequently bend, lift, and carry objects weighing up to 75 pounds, and occasionally lift objects over 100 pounds when lifting motors or pumps.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 pounds overhead.
- Ability to use personal protective equipment to safely work with and around hazardous chemicals, strong fumes, electric shock and infectious disease.
- Ability to work around noise and vibration generated from equipment and machinery.
- Ability to climb and work off ladders.
Certification and Licensure
- Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota Class “D” driver’s license.
- Must have or be able to obtain within six (6) months of hire, a Minnesota class “A” Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with tanker and air brake endorsement.
- Must have a satisfactory driving record.
- Certified Pool Operator License or able to obtain within one (1) year of hire.
- Successful candidates must have a High School Diploma or General Education Development Certificate (GED).
- Graduation from relevant vocational/technical training helpful.
- At least two years of recent year-round experience in maintenance of ice arena and/or pool facilities.
- Experience in the operation of light equipment and power hand tool operation, carpentry repair and maintenance.
Application forms, copies of this bulletin and additional information may be obtained by going to www.richfieldmn.gov/jobs. Only a City of Richfield on-line application will be accepted. Resumes may be included with a completed City of Richfield on-line application. THE CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS IS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2019.