Building Maintenance Worker (FT) - Community Activity Center (CAC)
$48,152.00 - $61,880.00 Annually
Brooklyn Park, MN
Regular Full-Time Benefited (40 Hours)
Recreation & Parks
This position provides for the operation, repair and maintenance of the Community Activity Center, Zanewood Recreation Center and other Recreation & Parks facilities to provide clean, well-maintained and operable facilities for ice arena activities, meetings, recreation activities, senior activities, etc.
NOTE: The City of Brooklyn Park reserves the right to interview candidates while the job posting is open. This job posting will be open until filled. If you have interest in this position, it is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible upon seeing the announcement as the vacancy may close without notice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor and assist with maintenance of ice arena mechanical, electrical, plumbing, refrigeration and dehumidification system and controls to include emergency systems and air quality systems
- Operate and maintain ice arena-related equipment including resurfacing machines and edgers
- Perform/assist the public with customer service
- Perform/assist with set-up and take-down of facility space
- Monitor and assist with the operation, maintenance, and/or repair of general building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment and controls to include heating and cooling equipment, communications systems, emergency systems, and elevators
- Perform/assist with general custodial and maintenance activities to interior and exterior of the CAC, Zanewood Recreation Center and other Recreations and Parks facilities to include general carpentry, maintenance of doors and hardware, painting and other miscellaneous tasks
- Perform/assist with custodial and grounds maintenance activities to include snow removal and ice control as assigned
- Assist with meeting rooms, module office equipment and furniture set-ups
- Accurately maintain organized inventory and maintenance records
- Perform manual labor as required
- Perform minor vehicle and equipment maintenance
- Perform other duties as assigned or apparent
Minimum and Desired Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent
One (1) year work experience in ice maintenance operations or community center
- Valid MN Class D driver's license
- Ability to obtain a MN Special Engineer License within 12 months of employment
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to competently and safely perform all the tasks and responsibilities of the position
- Ability to acquire licenses and to successfully complete required training/education
- Ability to communicate clearly, positively, and effectively with co-workers and customers
- Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to provide a level of customer service that meets/exceeds customer expectation and satisfaction
- Embrace and engage in cultural shift toward Continuous Improvement
- MN Special Engineer License for hot water and steam boilers
- Graduate from a vocational program or technical training in ice arena management/maintenance or building maintenance
- Working knowledge of ammonia ice refrigeration system
- Previous experience performing general custodial and building maintenance activities
- Previous experience performing grounds maintenance activities
- Previous experience performing vehicle and equipment maintenance activities
- Previous skate sharpening experience
- Previous experience working with people from various cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish, Hmong, Russian, Somali, Laotian or Vietnamese language(s)
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
About Brooklyn Park
Brooklyn Park is a thriving northwestern suburb of Minneapolis and the sixth largest city in the state with over 82,000 residents and 30,000 jobs. As the 11th fastest growing city in Minnesota, the city has become even more vibrant because of our remarkable racial and cultural diversity. Fifty-four percent of residents are people of color, 22 percent are foreign-born, and more than a quarter speak a language other than English at home.
Department/Division: Recreation & Parks Department/CAC
Anticipated Work Schedule: Full-time, non-exempt, non-union position; position will be Tuesday through Saturday second shift; typically 4:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m., but varies from 2:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. depending on events. Schedule subject to event needs and may include day hours and some holidays.
Anticipated Hiring Wage: depending on qualifications
City of Brooklyn Park
5200 85th Avenue N
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, 55443
Apply for job
- Facility Maintenance Technician
- Ice Arena Assistant